Our resident baker, Niklas, has come up with a seasonal take on the 'Jammy Dodger' - a childhood favourite. With gooseberry curd echoing the gooseberry notes in this month's Honduran coffee this fika heaven recipe is worth the effort.
2.5dl (225g) sugar
2 eggs (about 1 dl)
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
200g butter (room temperature)
2 teaspoons vanilla powder
6.5 dl (400g) flour
2. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve, using a spoon to get all the juice and puree through the sieve. Then put the puree, the butter and the sugar into a bowl or a pot and heat it up over simmering water until the butter has melted.
3. Take it off and let it cool for quite some time (you want to avoid the eggs scrambling when you put them in). Then pour in the beaten eggs while whisking,
4. Put the bowl back over the simmering water, and stir until the mixture starts to thicken and becomes creamy. This will likely take between 10-15 minutes, but is a good method to avoid the eggs from scrambling.
5. Once ready, take it off the heat and let it cool before putting it in the fridge. Now to the biscuits
6. Set the oven at 190 degrees Celsius.
7. Mix the butter and the sugar in a bowl and then add the egg and the vanilla until mixed well. Then add the flour and mix until you have a smooth dough.
8. Form the dough into two balls, and roll each out on a floured surface or baking sheet to a thickness of about 1/2 centimeter. Then put the dough in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Cut out your biscuits using a round cutter, and use the cutoffs to make additional ones.
11. Put a dollop of gooseberry curd in the middle of a base biscuit, then add a top biscuit and gently press together and voila, you have your first Gooseberry Jammy Dodger!
Enjoy this little piece of heaven with our specially matched Honduran Single Origin coffee!