I koppen: Elegant med härliga blommiga aromer och smaktoner av aprikos, caprifol och farinsocker.
Koppning: 88 poäng
Munkänsla: Silkeslen, elegant.
Botanisk variant: Heirloom
Process: Washed (tvättat)
Producent: Bensa Tvättstation
Växthöjd: 1950- 2000 möh
Region: West Arsi / Sidama
Background:The Bensa washing station is located in the Sidamo region and has 800 active members who deliver freshly harvested cherry to the washing station for processing.
Bensa washing station is owned by Faisel Abdosh who owns seven washing stations run in partnership with his cousin Adam. The washing stations produce a wide range of coffees using both washed and natural processing methods with a focus on high cup score micro-lots that showcase the best of Ethiopian coffee.
Harvesting and Processing:Coffee is grown and harvested by small-hold producers who typically grow coffee along with other crops on a small farm. Coffee is very carefully hand-harvested and delivered to the washing station for processing using the following method:
- Manual hand sorting to remove defects
- Pulping to remove the outer layer of fruit using a water-based disk pulper that sorts coffee into 1st and 2nd quality streams
- The 1st quality is fermented in water for 72 hours
- Coffee is washed and graded in channels. The best quality coffee is dense and will sink and this is separated from the lighter coffee.
- The dense, superior coffee is soaked in clean water for 2 hours
- Coffee is dried on raised tables in a layer 2cm deep for about 10 days.